It's only 13 episodes you sopping wet diaper baby

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am 
That's so Takamura

i'm a busy guy

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:37 am 
Ban Jay C

I've been watching a lot of animes and reading a lot of mangobooks. I stopped talking about them in here because everyone stopped coming to the forum.

Black Clover - If you've ever read or watched Fairy Tail, you might get deja vu reading this. It's about as bog standard of a shonen action series as you can get in terms of setting and character archetypes, but the way everything is handled is a lot smarter, and a lot of the usual tropey garbage symptomatic of bad shonen is turned on its head. It's overall fun and if you like shonen I say give it a shot. Anime's premiering soonish, too.

Haikyuu! - After Hajime no Ippo, Initial D, Teppu, and now Haikyuu, I'm thinking I might secretly be a sports anime fan. It's about a high school boys' volleyball team full of misfits who barely get along but somehow their crazy specialties combine in just such a way to make for a super effective team. I highly recommend giving it a watch even if you aren't into sports anime. The sheer amount of hype I experienced in the back half of S2 and S3 is off the charts.

Robot x Laserbeam - The title is very misleading. It's a golf manga. The main character's nickname is "Robo" because he acts very robotic and shows few emotions, and his signature golf swing is the Laserbeam, notable because it doesn't curve at all, which is rare in golf. Very much a stereotypical trope filled sports manga, the phrase "Don't you dare look down on golf" is said at at least one point. I like it but it's definitely not an S-Tier Must Read kind of thing, give it a look if you're interested in what a shonen Jump series with protagonist who I'm pretty sure is somewhere on the autism spectrum looks like. At least that's what I've heard from others.

The Promised Neverland - This is one of my favorite new manga in years. I honestly don't want to spoil anything about it, just go check it out.

Dr. Stone - Props to lockface for pointing this one out to me. Humanity is mysteriously petrified, and our two protagonists retain their consciousness by focusing on their respective obsessions: simple-minded but supremely durable Taiju thinks about his crush he was minutes away from confessing to, and total wimp but science-worshipping Senku simply counts the seconds since his petrification. They each wind up breaking out of their stone shells about 1500 years later and try to re-establish humanity under a kingdom of science. The plot is fun, the pacing is pretty breezy, the way Senku talks about science stuff makes you want to go buy a chemistry set. Also, the art is fantastic and the goofy faces are extremely powerful.

Made in Abyss - This one gave me Studio Ghibli vibes from the get-go, though it definitely has some decidedly un-Ghibli qualities. There's at least one kind of weird off-color gag in every episode, usually involving the robot boy's genitals for some reason. Also, if you're particularly squeamish about bad stuff (like violence and brushes with death) happening to children in fiction maybe pass on it. I still like it but there's a sequence in episode 10 I couldn't watch without averting my eyes, though that's been the worst of it.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi - This is a really, really good harem manga. Now stop right there, I know what you're thinking, and yes, I said that. Normally I don't touch that shit with a ten foot pole, but this author is actually using the genre for good rather than evil. Rokudou is a pathetic nerd who passively accepts being bullied until he and his 2 pathetic nerd buddies huddle up in a bathroom stall to vent to each other about it. Rokudou somehow gets a spell or curse of some kind put on him, which him to be super attractive to delinquent or otherwise "bad" girls. As skeevy a setup as that all is, the author subverts it with almost every new character introduced. Rokudou is actually a really good kid who almost always uses this power to try and make friends with the people around him, boy or girl, or sort of "rehabilitate" them and help them go back to being good students. He also actively strives to improve himself and be less of a massive loser for the sake of the main heroine, who's regarded by everyone else as an unbeatable monster. I could keep going, but honestly, trust me on this one. It's so much better than the premise would have you believe.

Princess Principal - So far I'm about 5 episodes into this one and it's really good. Set in industrial revolution era London with alternate history and a gravity-altering sci-fi mineral serving as a lot of the story motivation, it's about a group of 5 high school girls who are spies, one of which is the princess of the kingdom they're infiltrating. Again, as with Rokudou, you'd think a premise like that would result in some trashy otakubait crap but it's super smartly written and interesting. The action is solid and the characters are pretty likeable, though there's one some people might not be into. Not nearly as much fanservice as you'd expect, the only one really doing any is the 20 year old femme fatale type.

My Hero Academia S2 - I'm sure nobody needs me to explain this at this point but it's worth noting season 2 is much better than season 1. Both in terms of the material covered and in how well they cover it. Stain rules. Bakugou is #1.

I think that's about everything.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:31 am 
That's so Takamura

Johnny Tijuana wrote:
Stain rules.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:31 am 
Ban Jay C

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond - Second season of Kekkai Sensen (aka Blood Blockade Battlefront), which was a recent manga by the author of Trigun. It's basically more of the first, which means it fucking owns super hard. This is a series that's extremely difficult to explain so I'll just say go watch season 1. There were a pair of anime-exclusive characters introduced in season 1 that a lot of people weren't really fond of but they're gone as of S2.

Land of the Lustrous - (aka Houseki no Kuni) This is a weird one less because it's hard to explain like Kekkai Sensen and more because I've never really watched anything like it. It's entirely CG, which sounds bad on paper because anime CG is pretty rough at the best of times, but it's stylized in such a way that it actually looks pretty cool. It's about a race of androgynous gem people fighting off "Lunarians" which are these really unsettling statue people that appear in the sky to try and take the gems back to the moon with them. If any of this sounds Steven Universe adjacent it's not really that similar beyond the concept of sentient gem people. There's a certain alien quality to everything in the show and it adds to the atmosphere, I find.

Juni Taisen - (aka 12 Wars) It's pretty much just a trashy one season story about 12 warriors of the zodiac killing each other in an abandoned city. They all have grimdark edgelord backstories and most of them die in incredibly stupid ways and it's not what I would classify under the traditional definition of "good" but it's mindless fun.

Golem Hearts - New shonen manga series that just started. It's pretty generic apart from the main gimmick of the world being people magically summoning and controlling golems. Main character is a sapient golem with a personality who can himself perform golem arts. Seems like it may occupy the same sort of brainspace as Black Clover where it's an easy read every week and doesn't break the mold in any profoundly large ways.

Speaking of Black Clover don't watch the anime. It's bad. Read the manga. Seriously I know a lot of you are way more open to watching a thing than reading it but trust me on this one if you for whatever reason decide "hey i've seen some stuff about black clover let me try it" fucking avoid the anime like the plague it is so, so ass.

Also since we're on the subject of updates, I finished Princess Principal, it owns a lot, watch it. Robot x Laserbeam got dumb and I don't know if I'm going to be reading much more of it. Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone continue to kick ass please read them both.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:42 am 
#1 Johnny

Been watching Steins;Gate. Almost finished. That is a good anime.

OfflineProfile
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 pm 
Ban Jay C

Johnny AMERICA wrote:
Dead Zone sucks
World's Strongest sucks
Tree of Might sucks
Lord Slug is decent but basically King Piccolo
Cooler's Revenge is cool
Return of Cooler sucks
Super Android 13 is decent but nothing special
Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan is cool
Bojack Unbound is cool
Broly Second Coming is cool
Bio-Broly is god awful garbage
Fusion Reborn is cool
Wrath of the Dragon sucks

wow what fucking idiot wrote this it's almost entirely wrong

Dead Zone, Fusion Reborn, Bojack Unbound, and the last 20 minutes of Broly are good, fuck the rest

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 pm 
That's so Takamura

i agree, bojack horseman is good

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:59 pm 
Ban Jay C

Johnny Tijuana wrote:
Land of the Lustrous - (aka Houseki no Kuni)
Juni Taisen - (aka 12 Wars)

I fell behind on last season stuff and finished these two a couple days ago. Juni Taisen is ok. There's a stretch in the middle where it's pretty not great but I enjoyed the last few eps. Houseki no Kuni is legit pretty great though. Would deffo give that a recommendation.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:12 pm 
Dopemaster Smokeabitch

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:04 am 
Ban Jay C

Quarterly anime update: I only really watched Pop Team Epic and Devilman Crybaby last season, they were both good go watch 'em.

This season is slightly less dry
Megalo Box is Ashita no Joe if Joe had robot arms and everything was animated fucking immaculately in a rough but gorgeous style that looks like if super talented animators from the 90s got transplanted 15 years into the future and made a show in HD.

Persona 5 The Animation is like a more boring version of the game. Play it instead.

Lupin III Part V is like Lupin III Part IV when he had a bunch of adventures in Italy except this time it's in France. I never finished Part IV so I'm making my way through that before I start Part V even though you could literally start on any random episode and be fine because that's how Lupin works.

My Hero Academia is back with season 3. It is still very good. This season will have Many Cool Events.

Mahou Shoujo Site is one of the most miserable television watching experiences I've ever had and I only watched the first episode. Fuck this show. It doesn't deserve to get bold text.

Aggretsuko is a Sanrio (the Hello Kitty people) series on netflix about a red panda named Retsuko who hates her shitty boss and most of her shitty coworkers and lets out her aggression by belting out heavy metal songs by herself at a karaoke place. Please watch it.

OfflineProfile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:11 am 
That's so Takamura

when is tokoyami going to get to the fireworks factory

OfflineProfile
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 76 of 76   [ 1140 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76